You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
"Photo: Paul Barkley / Melba Studios "

It was within five minutes that the game had it's first four-pointer and it was the man-of-the-moment that delivered as the in-form Mitchell Pearce found his way through the firt line of defence with a step, then added another to leave Bunnies fullback Greg Inglis floored as he dotted it down under the uprights.

His halves partner James Maloney then added the extras from infront and the lead was 6-0.

Again the crowd wasn't left waiting long for another as the crowd was silenced after a Maloney bomb deep inside the Rabbitohs half looked to be contested by the No.1's.

As Rabbitohs fullback Inglis took to the sky in usual fashion it seemed a simple take, however Captain Anthony Minichiello had different ideas and out-leaped the superstar to latch onto the ball and race 10m to score.

Despite a handful of looks from the Video Refs, there was no reason not to go with the on-field decision of try.

Again Maloney added the extras and it was 12-0 after just 8 minutes.

The tries slowed down but the intensity certainly didn't for the next 10 minutes before it was the Rabbitohs who found their first of the night through Lote Tuqiri.

After some assistance up-field following ill-discipline from the Roosters the Rabbitohs threw it wide to the left before switching back to the right for Tuqiri to go over.

Adam Reynolds slotted the extras from the sideline to close the gap to just six points following the first quarter of the match.

As the first half began to wind down and momentum began to shift to the home side it was them again over for the next try as they opted to take it blind on the last and as they fed it through the hands it was winger Alex Johnston who dotted it down in the corner.

Reynolds, from the opposite sideline this time, added the extras and tied it up at 12-all.

HALF TIME: Rabbitohs 12 - Roosters 12

A revved-up and vocal ANZ Stadium had to wait just three minutes for the first try of the second half after back-to-back penalties piggy-backed the Rabbitohs up-field, before they shifted it wide to the right quickly and then back inside from Sam Burgess for a flying Dylan Walker who crashed over.

Reynolds nailed the conversion and the Rabbitohs took the lead for the first time, 18-12.

As the clock ticked over into the final half hour and momentum was well and truly with the home side it was Inglis in the thick of it again after he took a switch-ball back inside behind the play of the ball to evade the Roosters defence and dive over.

Reynolds again added the extras and the home side extended their lead to twelve, 24-12.

Despite Reynolds being in the thick of all the action it was his halves partner that stepped up next.

With just 15 minutes remaining the young No.6 planted a perfect cross-field kick to the in-goal for a flying Inglis to come through and claim his second of the night.

Reynolds converted to give the Rabbitohs a 18 point lead, 30-12.

The first look of the Roosters with momentum came with just 7 minutes to spare but a call back for obstruction on a mid-field break handed the home side a shot at an extra two, which Reynolds nailed from 40m out to extend the lead to 32-12.

Points did come for the defending Premiers with a Rabbitohs mistake in the final minutes seeing Michael Jennings in space, who found Aidan Guerra to go over untouched.

Maloney converted to see the Rabbitohs lead at 32-18.

It looked like staying at that score before an 80th minute break from Jake Friend found the hooker in space to pass off for his Captain, who crossed in the corner for a douvle in his final ever match.

FULL TIME: Rabbitohs 32 - Roosters 22