You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Cup Roosters Overcome by Eels

The Sydney Roosters fell to the Parramatta Eels 32-16 in Round 21 of the NSW Cup competition at St Marys Leagues Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The game shaped up to be a tight contest as the sides traded early blows, but the Eels proved too strong for the Tricolours, who fought until the final whistle.

Awarded a penalty on the first set of the match, Parramatta attacked Easts’ line early in the game, taking the opportunity to claim the opening points, as halfback Jordan Rankin played a short ball to Samuel Loizou who twisted out of a tackle to score. Rankin converted from out wide to establish a 6-0 lead.

Off the back of a seven-tackle set, the Roosters were able to hit back as Drew Hutchison played Riley Meyn into a gap, covering 20 metres before finding Jade Anderson in support who grounded the ball. Jaxson Paulo converted successfully to tie the game up at six-all.

The visitors reclaimed the lead just a few minutes later after a high ball from Parramatta was put down and fell into the path of fullback Arthur Miller-Stephen who scooped it up to score. Rankin converted to make it 12-6.

The Eels extended their lead with a try out the back, as Rankin drew a defender out of the line with a double-pump before passing to Miller-Stephen who got the ball to Jack Murchie, beating a defender to claim the four-pointer.

Parramatta advanced the ball upfield on the resuming set with a kick for touch, putting them in attacking field position again. Receiving the ball out of dummy half, five-eighth Joshua Lynn passed to Samuel Loizou who fought his way to the try line for his second of the afternoon, putting his side up 20-6.

The visitors looked set to score again as they sent the ball out to Turoa Williams who raced for the corner, but he was dragged over the sideline in a brilliant tackle by returning young centre Robert Toia.

Jack Smith made a break through the middle for the Tricolours before sending the ball out wide to Paulo, who scored in the corner for Easts’ second of the afternoon. Paulo converted his own try from the sideline to cut the deficit to eight at half-time.

A penalty while on the attack granted Parramatta an entire set on the Roosters’ line. They managed to cross the stripe for the fourth time with some deception out of dummy half from Jayden Yates, who threw a dummy and ducked under a tackle to score. Rankin converted from beside the uprights for a 26-12 lead.

It wasn’t long before the Eels were back on the attack following a handling error, and they made the most of the opportunity as back-rower Jock Brazel charged through a gap in the defensive line and sidestepped the fullback to race away. Rankin converted from in front to put his side up by 20.

Following a penalty, the Roosters scored their first try of the second half after creating an overlap on the left edge thanks to the quick hands from Ethan King and Corey Allan, who put Anderson away down the sideline, diving over in the corner for a double. 

The final 10 minutes saw the game dwindle out with a series of errors and penalties from both sides. 

Sydney Roosters 16 (Jade Anderson 2, Jaxson Paulo tries, Jaxson Paulo 2 goals) def by Parramatta Eels 32 (Samuel Loizou 2, Arthur Miller-Stephen, Jack Murchie,  Jayden Yates, Jock Brazel tries, Jordan Rankin 4 goals)

Acknowledgement of Country

Sydney Roosters respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.