Roosters re-sign promising young gun Joseph Manu
The Sydney Roosters have today announced that young up-and-comer Joseph Manu has extended his commitment to the Tricolours until at least the end of 2018.
Fresh out of helping secure the Club’s first-ever Holden Cup title, 20-year-old Manu expressed his delight at extending his contract with the Roosters.
“I’m learning so much at the Roosters, and this is where I want to stay and build a career,” said Manu.
“I still have lots of room to improve and my focus is on continuing to learn, keep getting better and hopefully secure my opportunity to play some good football for the Roosters,” he added.
Roosters Head Coach Trent Robinson said it was exciting to have the young outside back extend his arrangement with the Club.
“It’s been terrific to watch the development of the younger members coming through our grades over the last few seasons, and Joseph has been a big part of that,” said Robinson.
“Joseph is an instinctive footballer who works hard, and away from the game he’s a great young man. I’m really looking forward to continuing to work with him and watching his development in the coming seasons,” he added.
The Junior Kiwi made his NRL debut the week before his 20th birthday in a memorable appearance against the Warriors in New Zealand in Round 15 of the 2016 season.
He played three NRL matches in his rookie season and was named in the Holden Cup Team of the Year in 2015 and 2016.
He was also a member of the Roosters SG Ball Premiership-winning side in 2014 alongside fellow NRL rookies Latrell Mitchell, Grant Garvey and Connor Watson.
To cap off an impressive 2016 season for the youngster, he scored two tries in the Roosters 30-28 come-from-behind win over Penrith Panthers in the 2016 Holden Cup Grand Final on Sunday, October 2.
This announcement follows news earlier this week that barnstorming forward Siosiua Taukeiaho has also penned an extension keeping him at the Club until at least the end of 2020.