You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The Sydney Roosters have suffered their first loss of the 2013 NYC season, going down40-22 to the Brisbane Broncos.

An early penalty had the Roosters on the attack and on the prowl for a quick four pointer. Some good decoys looked to have created a chance out wide, but the final pass from Dallas Wells just went behind Graeme Su'a Poe.

After receiving a penalty of their own, the Broncos registered the opening try of the game, following a great short ball from Cameron Cullen to put Joseph Forrester away. Cullen had no problems with the challenging kick.

A poor kick gave the Roosters a great chance to equalise. The hosts gratefully accepted the invitation, with Jack Siejka hitting and spinning his way to the try line. Tyler Cornish made no mistakes with the kick.

The Broncos were in five minutes later courtesy of sustained pressure on the Roosters' goal line. Four sets of six in a row took its toll, with Caleb Timu hitting a gap off a Kodi Nikorima pass. Cullen's kick made it 12-6 after20 minutes.

The Brisbane halfback then took his game to the next level with a superb banana kick setting up Kurt Capewell under the sticks. After producing a perfect kick in the lead up, the ensuing conversion was always going to be a formality.

The Roosters had their chances, with Samisoni Langi busting through for two line breaks in the space of three minutes. However, both busts failed to lead to points.

The Broncos, meanwhile, continued to attack, with their 1, 6 and 7 proving near impossible to defend. An inside ball from Cullen put Capewell away, and it looked as if the fullback would grab his second. Although the Roosters managed to deny Capewell, they couldn't stop Nikorima from the ensuing ruck.

After being denied moments earlier, Capewell finally scored his second of the afternoon when he stepped through three would be defenders to ice a faultless 40 minutes for the visitors. Cullen kicked his fourth conversion of the opening stanza to hand the Broncos a somewhat surprising 28-6 lead at the break.

The half time break did little to stop the Broncos, and Cullen in particular. It took the number seven just eight minutes to jump from acting half and set up late inclusion Jai Arrow for the opening points of the half.

Trailing by 28, the Roosters needed a minor miracle. Two tries in the space of ten minutes had the home fans dreaming of another comeback. Taane Milne crossed in the 52nd following a string of hopeful offloads. Ten minutes later, and Rhyse Martin found the line after beating four tacklers. Cornish nailed one of two kicks to narrow the margin to 18.

Any hopes of a comeback were quashed when Arrow barged over for his second of the match. Ashley Taylor took over the kicking duties, but the result was the the same.

Despite being on the wrong end of a 40-16 scoreline, the Roosters refused to give in. Langi burst though for the third time of the evening, and found a determined Travis Peeters jogging on the spot for a gift four points. The Cornish goal made it 40-22; the same score as the 2012 NRL game.

The 18 point loss condemns the Roosters to their first loss of 2013. Paul Green will be disappointed with a poor completion rate throughout the match. Langi was on fire again, but couldn't compete with Cameron Cullen, who led his side perfectly from start to finish. The side will look to bounce back next Monday when they host the Parramatta Eels.
Acknowledgement of Country

Sydney Roosters respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.